“The Music Center is an outstanding addition to our world renowned music program. We are grateful for the support from the state of Maryland, Leroy and Lois Peters, and all our donors and supporters who helped to make this building a reality,” said Weymouth Spence, Ed.D., President of WAU.
With growth rate of more than 16 percent for the 2010-2011 academic year, WAU had the highest among the 16 member Maryland Independent Colleges Association.
The new building features cutting-edge technology, multiple practice rooms, libraries, smart classrooms, recital rooms and teaching studios. Its completion is a punctuation mark on a dream which has had its fair share of twists and turns. Originally slated for the front of Sligo Church on the corner of Carroll and Flower Avenues, the building now sits to the rear of the church with several design changes.
Funding for the project came from the State of Maryland, which provided a $2.2 million grant with the understanding that WAU would match that amount and complete the building within a year. The University board voted the $2.2 million, one million of which was donated by philanthropists Leroy and Lois Peters of Howard County, MD.
About Washington Adventist University
Washington Adventist University is a private liberal arts institution located in Takoma Park, Md. It is the only four-year residential college in Montgomery County, a popular suburb of Washington, DC. Founded in 1904, offers a Christian education to nearly 1,500 students of all faiths, through eight graduate, and 32 undergraduate programs. The 2011 edition of U.S. News &World Report ranked the University among the best regional colleges in the northern region and as one of the most diverse institutions of higher learning in the US.