WAU is accredited by:
- The Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19104, 215-662-5606. The Commission on Higher Education is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as a regional institutional accrediting agency, www.msche.org.
- The Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges and Universities, 12501 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600, 301-680-6000, www.adventistaccreditingassociation.org
- Washington Adventist University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248, 703-437-0700, www.nasm.arts-accredit.org
- The Bachelor of Social Work program is an off-campus program of Andrews University, accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, Division of Standards and Education, 1701 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, 703-683-8080, www.cswe.org
- The Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036 www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation
WAU is approved by:
- Maryland Higher Education Commission, 839 Bestgate Road, Suite 400, Annapolis, MD 21401-3013, 410-260-4500, www.mhec.state.md.us
- The Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy degree program and Equivalency in Music Therapy Program are approved by the American Music Therapy Association, Inc., 8455 Colesville, Road, Suite 1000, Silver Spring, MD 20910, 301-589-3300, www.musictherapy.org
- The WAU Education Department is fully approved through 2023 by the Maryland State Department of Education, 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-767-0100, www.marylandpublicschools.org.
- The programs in education for teacher certification are approved by the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists Education Ministry from 2014-2020, 12501 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring, MD 20904, 301-680-6440, www.nadaventist.org
Washington Adventist University is authorized under federal law to:
- Train veterans
- Enroll non-immigrant alien students