COMMENCEMENT WEEKEND 2021
Download here: WAU Commencement Program
Thursday, April 29, 2021 – 6:00pm
Friday, April 30, 2021 – 7:00pm
*Please note that all participants are to be in regalia or all black for this service. This is a virtual only service.
Saturday, May 1, 2021 – 11:00 am
Live Stream from Sligo Seventh-day Adventist Church – Participants Only
Sunday, May 2, 2021 – 10:00am
The live stream will be here on the WAU website!
PRESIDENT – Sihle Sharrieff-Hayward
VICE PRESIDENT – Sherwin Simpson
SECRETARY – Kedon George
TREASURER – Cassandra Esquibel
PASTOR – Javel Walcott
SGPS REPRESENTATIVE – Lakshmi Kistappa
If you need to communicate with your class officers, please email them at email@example.com
COMMENCEMENT DAY DETAILS:
- 8:00am Arrival – Please ensure that you are on campus by 8:00am to ensure that you are present on time for all activities. You will be parking in the lot across from Sligo Church on Flower Ave. You MUST be in regalia in order to park in the lot. Masters Degree Graduates will be asked to park at the back portion of the lot. Undergraduate Students will park in the front 2 portions of the lot.
- 8:00am-8:30am – Upon your arrival, please fill out the COVID 19 questionnaire on the WAU app.
- 8:30am Class Picture – Once you arrive, please make your way to the Ball Field for the class picture. You may be broken up into groups, so make sure to listen for directions. You will receive your WAU mask at the field to wear for the picture.
- 9:00am Name Cards & Gift Bags at Check-In Tables – After the class picture, please come to the front lobby of Wilkinson Hall to obtain your name card. These are in order alphabetically by last name. Please do not lose this card. This is what will be used to read your name from for the degree conferral. There will also be treat bags next to the Check-In tables. These will have your Program and snacks, so please take one with you. Once you receive your card, please go to the table across from the Bookstore to retrieve your gift bag and go back to your car out of the side entrance to watch the live stream of the Commencement Ceremony here on the WAU website main page.
- 10:00am Commencement begins. Please ensure that you are paying attention to the Volunteers in the various parking lots. They will direct you when it is time to exit your vehicles and line up to receive your diplomas. Once you have received your diplomas, you will walk through the Gateway of Service and go back to your vehicles until the completion of the Commencement Ceremony.
- 12:00pm Smoothie Truck. Once Commencement is over, you and your families are invited to the parking lot across from Wilkinson Hall to partake in a fruit smoothie by Tamo Smoothies. In order to receive your 1 ticket for a free smoothie, you must visit the Alumni table. The first hour after Commencement will be dedicated to all those with a ticket. Anyone else in your family who would like a smoothie, must purchase one after the first hour.
- 12:00pm Alumni & SGPS Tables will be present near the Smoothie Truck for you to visit to receive a special gift.
- 12:00pm The Bookstore will be available outside in the same parking lot for you and your families to purchase WAU Gear and snacks.
IMPORTANT ITEMS TO REMEMBER:
- UPDATE!!! All graduates must park in the Flower/Carroll Ave. Parking lot. Any family members that will be attending the ceremony who wish to come at a later time than you, may park in any of the Greenwood Ave. parking lots. Please note that due to the updated CDC Guidelines regarding outside Graduation Ceremonies, the opportunity is now open for additional family members to attend. Compliance with CDC mask and large outdoor social distancing guidelines is required.
- Graduates and families are asked to remain in their cars and watch the live stream from their personal devices from our WAU Facebook page or the WAU Website. Only graduates will be allowed out of their cars to walk across the stage to get their diplomas and then return to their cars.
- All graduates will be given WAU masks to wear for uniformity.
- ALL GRADUATES must have their hoods already placed over their heads, this includes Graduate students, as there will not be any hooding this year in accordance with social distancing guidelines.
- Public Restrooms will be located in the parking lot for your use. Handicapped accessible bathrooms are located in the Wilkinson Hall lobby and Lower Level of Sligo Church (Please use Greenwood Ave. entrance. There is an elevator on the main floor.)
- In case of rain, please ensure that you have a black umbrella with you. We are asking everyone to have a black umbrella for uniformity.
- Please wear comfortable shoes. You may be walking on the grass, and there is a grate in the sidewalk with large openings. So ladies, we implore you to wear flatter shoes and not heels.
- PHOTOS: 2 – 5X7s of your Diploma photo and 1 – 8×10 of your Class Photo will be sent to your address a few weeks after Commencement.
Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring North/White Oak – 12521 Prosperity Dr, Silver Spring, MD 20904 – 301-680-6500
Sheraton Silver Spring – 8777 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring, MD – 301-589-0800
Diploma Mailing – May 24, 2021
Diplomas will be mailed to each Graduate after verifying they have a zero balance and have completed the exit counseling. Please fill out the forms attached.
Degree Completion Letter – Completion Letter Request Form
If you are not able to pick up your diploma or request transcripts due to an outstanding balance, we can provide you a letter of completion verifying degree completion.
In addition, if you are slated to be a Summer 2020 graduate but have finished all degree requirements, we can provide a letter verifying completion of all degree requirements, even though your diploma will be issued after July 31, 2020.
(Out of Country) Invitation letter – Graduation Invitation Letter Request Form
If you have family, friends, or loved ones who are out of the country and wants to travel for the commencement ceremony or pinning ceremony (Nursing students), you can request a letter that will be issued for them to apply for a visa to travel.
Final Transcript Requests – Transcript Request Form
Transcripts verifying degree credentials will be available beginning Wednesday, May 13, 2020. Final transcript request forms must be received by April 22, 2020 in order to be available by Wednesday, May 13, 2020.
Transcripts cannot be picked up on the same day the request is submitted.
Please make sure that you have a zero balance, have been financially cleared, and that you have completed your financial aid exit interviews as applicable to obtain your final official transcripts and diploma. For any information regarding that process contact:
- Graduation fees are not refundable
- There is a standing graduation fee of $85
- Plus, class dues of $275 – as determined by the senior class
- Preferred method of payment is credit card
No tickets are needed this year or for future graduation events, which will take place on the Washington Adventist University campus.
This video from the Registrar’s Office has some helpful tips about how to wear your regalia. Please note that this year only, Graduate students will not be hooded and must be prepared with their hoods already in place.