Nursing Pinning Ceremony 2020
2020 COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY
Sunday, August 9, 2020 – 11:00am
Sligo Seventh-day Adventist Church
7700 Flower Ave, Takoma Park, MD 20912
IMPORTANT UPDATES BELOW
Caps & gowns have arrived! You can pick them up at the bookstore, by appointment only.
Below you can find everything you need to know for your graduation weekend. If you need to communicate with your class officers, you should email email@example.com.
The University will host its traditional commencement ceremony following the conclusion of the spring semester. Diplomas will also continue to be issued at the end of the summer session and the fall semester, although no ceremonies will take place at those times.
We will provide accommodations, aides, services, or barrier removal. Accommodations are provided upon request with advance notice to Fitzroy Thomas at the Betty Howard Center for Student Success at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020 Commencement Date:
Commencement: August 9, 2020
Sligo Seventh-day Adventist Church – 11:00am
7700 Flower Ave, Takoma Park, MD 20912
Commencement Day Details:
- 9:00am Check-In – 1st Floor Lobby at front doors. Check-In Team will have a list with your names and you will be able to pick up your WAU Mask.
- 9:30am Class Picture – Once you check-in, you will be asked to wait outside, on the Commons for the class picture. You may be broken up into groups, so make sure to listen for directions.
- 10:00am Name Cards at Check-In Tables – After the class picture, please come back into the front lobby to obtain your name card. These are in order alphabetically by last name. Please do not lose this card. This is what will be used to read your name from for the degree conferral. Once you receive your card, please see below where you will need to go to lineup.
- 10:15am LINEUP IN 2 GROUPS (SEE ORDER BELOW)
- 10:45AM LOBBY GROUP PROCESSES TO SLIGO CHURCH FIRST, DINING HALL GROUP PROCESSES AFTER
- 11:00am Processional Begins Down Middle Aisle
Lobby Group follows Platform Participants – Class Officers take seats in front row as before. MA, MBA, MS, BA, BM Graduates please continue on around the front into the Atrium to be seated.
Dining Hall Group follow Lobby Group but will be directed to take seats inside the Sanctuary as reviewed in our meeting on Wednesday.
Important Items to Remember:
- All graduates will be given WAU masks to wear for uniformity.
- ALL GRADUATES must have their hoods already placed over their heads. This includes Graduate students, as there will not be any hooding this year in accordance with social distance guidelines.
- Families are asked to remain in their cars and watch the live stream from their personal devices. A link will be forthcoming. NO FAMILIES/FRIENDS WILL BE ALLOWED INSIDE THE CHURCH.
- Restrooms for families & friends will be located on the 1st floor of Wilkinson Hall. Sligo Church restrooms are designated for Graduates and Participants only.
- Please wear comfortable shoes and respect the sanctity of the sanctuary.
Degree Completion Letter – Completion Letter Request Form
If you are not able to pick up your diploma or request transcripts due to an outstanding balance, we can provide you a letter of completion verifying degree completion.
In addition, if you are slated to be a Summer 2020 graduate but have finished all degree requirements, we can provide a letter verifying completion of all degree requirements, even though your diploma will be issued after July 31, 2020.
(Out of Country) Invitation letter – Graduation Invitation Letter Request Form
If you have family, friends, or loved ones who are out of the country and wants to travel for the commencement ceremony or pinning ceremony (Nursing students), you can request a letter that will be issued for them to apply for a visa to travel.
Final Transcript Requests – Transcript Request Form
Transcripts verifying degree credentials will be available beginning Wednesday, May 13, 2020. Final transcript request forms must be received by April 22, 2020 in order to be available by Wednesday, May 13, 2020.
Transcripts cannot be picked up on the same day the request is submitted.
Please make sure that you have a zero balance, have been financially cleared, and that you have completed your financial aid exit interviews as applicable to obtain your final official transcripts and diploma. For any information regarding that process contact:
- Graduation fees are not refundable
- There is a standing graduation fee of $85
- Plus, class dues of $275 – as determined by the senior class
- Preferred method of payment is credit card
No tickets are needed this year or for future graduation events, which will take place on the Washington Adventist University campus.
This video from the Registrar’s Office has some helpful tips about how to wear your regalia. Please note that this year only, Graduate students will not be hooded and must be prepared with their hoods already in place.
Diplomas will be mailed to each Graduate this year. If you have not already done so, please email Dr. Reginald Garcon at email@example.com to share which address you would like your diploma sent to.