Department of Music Admissions Process:
1. Graduation from a National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) accredited School/ Department of Music* with major in music**.
2. Undergraduate GPA of 2.75
3. Submission of Letter of Interest/Intent and undergraduate transcripts
4. Audition, either in-person or via video recording:
· two contrasting selections on primary instrument/voice,
· one song while singing/playing piano, and
· one song while singing/playing guitar
5. Letter of Recommendation from an instructor or professional who can speak to the applicant’s academic achievement and effort as well as to the applicant’s suitability for Music Therapy as a career. Also, Audition and interviews with the Music Therapy faculty.
6. Interview with Washington Adventist University’s Music Therapy Program Director.
7. Acceptance to Washington Adventist University as a Music Therapy Equivalency student
Music Therapy Equivalency Core Requirements Total: 37 hours
|MUTH 110||Introduction to Music Therapy||3|
|MUTH 220||Standards of Clinical Practice||3|
|MUTH 230||Music Therapy Methods||3|
|MUTH 335||Psychology of Music||3|
|MUTH 375||Music Therapy Practicum I||3|
|MUTH 376||Music Therapy Practicum II||3|
|MUTH 441||Music Therapy Seminar||2|
|MUTH 476||Music Therapy Practicum III||3|
|MUTH 481||Music Therapy: Clinical Development||2|
|MUTH 485||Music Therapy Internship||12|
*Graduates from Schools/Departments of Music not accredited by NASM will be considered. These applicants may be asked to supply copies of syllabi from core music courses and may be required to take supplemental work in core music areas such as theory, music history, conducting, piano, guitar, etc. The program also requires prerequisite credits in Probability and Statistics, Anatomy and Physiology, Introduction to Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, and Methods of Group Counseling. These prerequisites may be completed concurrently while enrolled in the MTEP program.
**Interested applicants without an undergraduate major in music will need to fulfill additional requirements. These requirements may increase the time necessary to complete the program.
Candidates will receive written notification of the admissions decision once required materials have been processed.