WAU is accredited by:
- The Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19104, 215-662-5606.
- The Commission on Higher Education is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) as a regional institutional accrediting agency, www.msche.org.
- The Accrediting Association of Seventh-day Adventist Schools, Colleges and Universities, 12501 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600, 301-680-6000, www.adventistaccreditingassociation.org
- The Music program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, Suite 21, Reston, VA 20190-5248, 703-437-0700, www.nasm.arts-accredit.org
- The Bachelor of Social Work program is an off-campus program of Andrews University, accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, Division of Standards and Education, 1701 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, 703-683-8080, www.cswe.org
- The Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036 http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation
WAU is approved by:
- Maryland Higher Education Commission, 839 Bestgate Road, Suite 400, Annapolis, MD 21401-3013, 410-260-4500, www.mhec.state.md.us
- The WAU Education Department is fully approved through 2023 by the Maryland State Department of Education, 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-767-0100, www.marylandpublicschools.org/MSDE.
- The programs in education for teacher certification are approved by the North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists Education Ministry from 2014-2020, 12501 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring, MD 20904, 301-680-6440, www.nadaventist.org
Washington Adventist University is authorized under federal law to:
- Train veterans
- Enroll non-immigrant alien students