Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment?

You can schedule a first appointment by calling us at 891-4089 or stopping by the Center which is located in Wilkinson Hall on the fourth floor office 426. Our offices open at 8:30 am and we recommend that you call early as our appointments often fill quickly.

Where are you located?

The Counseling Center is located on the fourth floor of Wilkinson Hall Building, office 426.

Who is eligible for your services? Is there a cost for your services?

All students registered at Washington Adventist University are eligible for services. There are no additional charges for any of the clinical services offered at the Counseling Center.

How many sessions does the Counseling Center offer?

The Counseling Center provides short-term, individual counseling focused on helping students develop solutions to issues affecting their academic work and personal lives. Many students find that their issues can be resolved after only a couple of sessions. If you or your counselor determine that longer-term, individual counseling would be helpful, your counselor will assist with referrals to the community.

What types of counseling services do you provide?

The Counseling Center provide individual, couples’ and group counseling focused on a range of  common concerns shared by students.  We also provide specialized assessments for Depression, Anxiety, Suicide and Alcohol and Drug related concerns.

What can I expect when I come to the Counseling Center?

You will be asked to complete several confidential forms that will provide your counselor with information regarding why you have scheduled an appointment and what types of concerns you want to address in your appointment. You will meet with your counselor for about 45 minutes and she will then talk with you about what types of services the Counseling Center has available that would be most helpful to you.

Who are your counselors?

The Counseling Center counselor is a licensed mental health professional.  In addition, the counseling center has graduate counseling interns who are supervised by the licensed staff member.

Do you prescribe medication?

Some students find that medication, often in conjunction with counseling, can be useful in addressing their mental health concerns. Since the counselor at this center does not prescribe medication, we collaborate with physicians in the community. If you are interested in being evaluated for medication, it is necessary for you to first discuss this with a mental health counselor. Your counselor may then refer you to a psychiatrist, primary care physician, or nurse practitioner who has the ability to prescribe medication. They will evaluate the appropriateness of medications in treating your symptoms and consult with you about their recommendations.

What kind of issues do students come to the Counseling Center to get help with?

Students come to the Counseling Center for a wide variety of reasons. Some students are having trouble adjusting to college life or are having conflict with a roommate or their parents. Many of our clients have a specific concern related to depression, anxiety, alcohol or substance abuse, eating concerns or a similar clinical issue. Our counselors can help you understand troubling feelings and behaviors and help you to feel better in general.

Who will see my Counseling Center records?

All Counseling Center records are confidential in accordance with Maryland mental health law. Your records stay at the Counseling Center and can only be released to a third party with your written consent except under specific circumstances outlined in our confidentially policy. The Counseling Center record will not become a part of your academic record.